Keeping your Kindle Fire up-to-date with the lastest software ensures that you can take advantage of all the Kindle Fire has to offer. Follow these steps to update and install Kindle Fire software:
First, you’ll need to find out what version your running:
- On your Kindle Fire, tap the Quick Settings icon, then go to “More, then “Device.” This shows you the current version you’re running. As of this posting, the most up-to-date version is 6.3.1. If your version is older it’s time to update your software!
Kindle Fire Update – Quick & Easy
- Connect your Kindle Fire to a Wi-Fi network
- Confirm that your battery is fully charged
- Tap the Quick Settings icon in the upper right corner, then tap “Sync.” This will begin the software update (it runs in the background) and will be applied when download is complete and the device is asleep.
Manual Kindle Fire Update – Download & Install Using Your Computer
You can also update your Kindle Fire manually using your computer (you’ll need a USB cable to transfer the update to your Kindle Fire). Here’s how:
- Determine your software version: (see above).
- Download the Kindle Fire software update directly to your computer - USING THIS LINK
- Transfer software to your Kindle Fire by connecting the Kindle Fire to your computer using a USB cable. Drag and drop the new update file from your computer to the kindleupdates folder on your Kindle drive. (The drive is typically displayed as a “device” icon).
- Check your file transfer progress to make sure the file completely transferred.
- Tap the “Disconnect” button on your Kindle Fire screen to safely disconnect your Kindle Fire from your computer.
- Disconnect the USB cable from your Kindle Fire and your computer.
- Make sure your battery is fully charged, then tap the Quick Settings icon, then tap “More…” then Device.
- Select “Update Your Kindle.” (This option will be grayed out if the most recent update has already been installed or if the file transfer was not successful.) Your Kindle Fire will restart twice during the update. After the first restart, you will see the Kindle Fire logo on the screen.
- Confirm that you have the most up-to-date versionn installed - tap the Quick Settings icon, then go to “More, then “Device. It should display the version you just installed.